Jamaican style pulled mushroomsINGREDIENTS
-4 large king oyster mushrooms
-3 tbsp cornflour
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 inch piece ginger finely minced
-2 spring onion / scallions chopped
-pinch of salt + pepper
-2 tbsp sesame oil
-2 garlic cloves
-2 tbsp coconut aminos
-4 tbsp water
-4 tbsp brown sugar
-1 tbsp tahini
-Shred the oyster mushrooms gently with a fork then rip them into strips with your hands, don’t rip them too small.
-coat with the cornflour, onion, and garlic powder then fry in hot oil until crispy, transfer to a wire rack or paper towel to remove excess oil.
-fry the minced garlic in the sesame oil for a few minutes before adding the coconut aminos, water and sugar then stir and bring to a quick boil to combine.
-now stir in the tahini until everything turns into a smooth sauce.
-Add the pulled pieces and coat with the sauce.
Serve with rice , sweet corn and steamed cabbage
5 spring onions
3 cloves of garlic
1 inch piece of ginger
1.5 tsp all spice
1.5 tsp thyme
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
¼ cup tamari/ coconut aminos
½ cup unsweetened pineapple juice
6-8 soft medjool dates
¼ cup water
Juice of 1 lemon or lime
Pinch of salt
Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender. (I used a nutribullet) Blend until smooth.
RECIPE (8 buns, 1h 15mins prep time):INGREDIENTS
• ½ lb or 225 g golden cornmeal
• x3 400ml tins of thick coconut milk
•18-20 pitted dates
• 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
• 1½ tsp salt
• 1½ tsp ground nutmeg
• 3 oz or 75 g raisins optional
• 2 oz or 50 g vegan butter or margarine
For the topping
• ¼ pint or 125 ml coconut milk
• 3-4 tbsp Brown sugar
• ½ tsp ground cinnamon
• ½ tsp vanilla essence (can also use vanilla extract)
1. Preheat oven to 180c / 350f / gas mark 4
2. Blend together dates and coconut milk , and stir in the salt, nutmeg, and mixed spice .
3. Add to cornmeal mixture, stirring until there are no lumps.
4. Pour into a greased pan.
5. Coat raisins with a little flour and sprinkle into mixture.
6. Dot generously with vegan butter or margarine.
7. Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F, 180°C or gas mark 4 for 15 minutes or until set.
8. Combine all topping ingredients together and pour mixture on top of pudding.
9. Bake for a further 30-45 minutes or until set.
10. Cool and serve
Vegan Meat Balls
1 lb carrots, loose
2 tbsp. organic unsalted butter, 454g
1 tsp. garlic powder granules
To taste salt & pepper
METHOD • Wash and scrub the carrots.
• Chop the carrots into cubes. Bring a large pot of water to a boil.
• Boil the cubes for about 15-20 minutes, until fork-tender
• Once the carrots are cooked, drain the water from the pot. Add the carrots back into the pot.
• Mix in the butter, salt & pepper, and garlic powder.
• Mash the carrots using a hand masher or fork, until carrots are evenly mixed.
• If you prefer the mixture extra smooth, use an immersion blender or food processor until carrots reach desired consistency.
• Divide evenly, sprinkle with salt and pepper
1 sprig thyme
1 spring onion
1 small onion
1/4 red pepper
1/4 green pepper
1/4 yellow pepper
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
1 teaspoon mixed herbs
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon all purpose seasoning
Finely chop thyme, onion, spring onion, red pepper , green pepper , yellow pepper , tomatoes , garlic
Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil
Lightly fry all of the chopped veg for 3-4 minutes
Add 1 cup water
Add ketchup , sweet chilli sauce, Black pepper , mixed herbs & salt
Add 1 tablespoon all purpose seasoning
Cover , Reduce to a medium to low heat and simmer for about 15 - 20 mins
vegan cook, author